This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.


Do you help and support a partner, relative, child or friend who could not manage without your help due to physical or mental illness, disability, frailty or addiction?


  • Anyone can become a carer at any age, children, parents, daughters, sons, spouses, partners; caring sometimes just happens to you;
  • Many people don't think of themselves as carers;
  • You may be a carer whether or not you live in the same house as the person you care for or even if that person lives in a residential or nursing home.

People paid to care. like care workers, are not included in this definition carers.

1.  Look after your own health - Tell your GP you are a Carer!

It is important to look after your own health so that you can go on caring for as long as you want to. It is easy not to look after you own health when you are looking after someone else.

  • We would like help you to stay as fit and healthy as possible
  • We offer most carers a free flu vaccination each Autumn
  • We keep a register of carers who are our patients so that we can provide you with information about organisations that may be able to help
  • Please ask at reception for help with registering your self as a carer with the practice or discuss it with your Doctor/Nurse

2. Carry the Carers Emergency Card

The carers Emergency Card identifies you as a carer, so if you are taken seriously ill or have an accident, whoever finds you can ring the number on the card and tell Emergency Communications Team, that the person you care for needs help. This team can then arrange up to 72 hours of care for that person at home. The only information held on the card is an emergency telephone number and your Carer PIN Number; it carries no other personal information about you or the person you care for. If the person you care for pays Council Tax in Bristol call Care Direct to order your card on: 0117 922 2700 or email:

3. Tell Social Services you are a Carer

You may also need practical support to care

  • Someone to sit with or give care to the person you care for while you go out
  • Equipment to help you to lift or move the person you care for
  • Information about local carers and other support organisations

In Bristol, social services for adults is called Adult Health and Social Care; you can contact them on Care Direct, 0117 922 2000; email For Children's Services in Bristol, also call, 0117 922 200

Adult Health and Social Care will usually assess the person you care for to see what help he/she might be eligible to receive. Carers who frequently provide help to the person they look after are also entitled to an assessment, called a Carers Assessment. A Carer's Assessment can be done;

  • with a social worker from Adult Health and Social Care
  • by completing an assessment form online at:
  • a Carers Support Centre case worker can visit and complete an online assessment with you. For this option contact CarersLine on 0117 965 2200

Useful Organisations

  • Bristol City Council: information, advice, assessment, commissions and arranges care and support services
  • The Carers Support Centre: provides specialist counselling, telephone befriending services and carers' groups that meet regularly to share practical ideas, support and friendship
  • Carers Support Centre Young Carers: provides specialist counselling, telephone befriending services and carers groups that meet regularly to share practical ideas, support and friendship. Focused on young carers.
  • Well Aware: information on health, wellbeing and community resources

Further Information

    Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website